Congratulations on wanting to become a student-athlete here at Northeastern. At Northeastern, we consider international students an integral part of our diverse student body. NJC has students from countries around the world who bring experience, perspective, and background to our college community.
Before you can become a part of the family, there are a few dates that need to be kept in mind and tasks that must be completed.
Application deadlines if you are an international student-athlete:
- Fall semester: July 15
- Spring semester: December 15
Steps to Apply
1. Apply for admission by filling out and submitting the International Student Application (attached to the admissions packet).
2. Provide a copy of your Passport or National Identification Card.
3. Submit the International Student Financial Statement (attached to admissions packet. This document, along with the required paperwork documentation (bank statements, affidavits of support, sponsorship letters, etc.) verifies the student’s ability to cover the cost of their academic program and cost of living while attending NJC.
4. Supply certified English translations of high school transcripts indicating graduation and unofficial copies of all college transcripts (if applicable). Be sure to request a course-by-course evaluation of your transcript.
NOTE: If you are going to be a student-athlete, we will also need official school transcripts mailed to us, in order for you to play sports.
5. If the student’s native language is other than English, he/she must provide one of the following:
a. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) showing a minimum score of 475 paper-based, 150 computer-based, or 52 internet-based.
b. Michigan Test of English Language proficiency showing a minimum score of 75.
c. Recommendations from the English Language School with completion of Level 109.
d. Completion of Level 5 advanced at an Intensive English Language Center.
e. Graduation from an American high school after attending for at least two years.
f. A student who has taken the STEP examination in Japan and holds a LEVEL II evaluation or above.
g. Special admission waiver approved by the President of the College.
6. Provide a record of immunizations.
7. Upon receipt of all the above, required documentation, NJC will issue the United States Immigration Form I-20. You then will apply for an F-1 visa through the U.S. Consulate in your home country.
8. All international students are required to have medical insurance in place while attending NJC. If you are an athlete, please contact head athletic trainer, Ryan Reh, at 970-521-6674, or continue below to see the requirements.
Arriving at NJC
1. Immigration regulations allow you to travel to the U.S. no earlier than 30 days before the start of the semester. You are required to meet with the Designated School Official (DSO) upon your arrival. Please bring your I-20, Visa, and Passport with you. Be prepared to provide proof of medical insurance.
2. If you have not taken college-level math and English at an accredited university in the United States, you will take a placement test to ensure you are placed in the correct course level. You may take this test once you arrive. Please check our testing page for more information.
3. Meet with an Academic Advisor to register for classes. International students must pay their outstanding tuition and fees on the day they register. Failure to comply may result in withdrawal of the student’s U.S. Immigration I-20
4. A $500 non-refundable deposit applicable toward tuition and fees is required once the student actually enrolls in the class.
If you are transferring from another US institution, you will need to turn in all documents in the above checklist and provide proof of transfer eligibility by filling out the International Student Transfer-In Form We also require official transcripts from your current US college.
Northeastern Junior College requires that all International Students have health insurance. All International Student-Athletes must have coverage as outlined in the ISP Intercollegiate Sports Plus Plan. This plan covers the student-athlete in intercollegiate competitions.
- VOLLEYBALL, MEN'S & WOMEN'S SOCCER
- August 4, 2021, to May 14, 2022
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S BASKETBALL, GOLF, MEN'S & WOMEN'S SOCCER AND WRESTLING
- August 19, 2021, to May 14, 2022
- BASEBALL & SOFTBALL
- August 19, 2021, to June 6, 2022